Saturday, January 28, 2012

For the Love

I have a friend, my best friend. She is a train wreck. She is loud, abrasive and obnoxious. Sometimes I wonder why we are friends, I wonder why I put up with her. Other people ask me the same thing. "How do you put up with Jenny?" God blessed me by not giving her to me as a sister. God also blessed me by giving her to me as a friend. There are some things I will never understand about her. There are other things I know I should emulate.

Jenny has made me a part of her family. Let me tell you about her family; they are volatile, feuding at times, judgemental, outspoken and they are there for each other (even if they are not on speaking terms). At least Jenny is always there for them. She bad mouths them, curses them, fights with them and loves them. Jenny has four brothers, one of them is a crack head. He has been for years. Jenny loves him, but has limited her contact with him and worries every day she will hear he is dead. He has a daughter, Jenny's niece, who is mentally challenged. When this niece was a toddler, her mother abused her and shook her and left her with brain damage. Afterwards, Jenny's mother obtained custody and raised her. Jenny's niece infuriates Jenny, she is selfish and loud and argumentative, just like the child she mentally is.  Jenny's niece had a baby and quit the county services she was receiving to go live with her mother (the one who abused her). Her mother became her payee and was virtually keeping her hostage and applied for custody of the baby. This saga, worthy of the Lifetime Channel, spans the court system of three counties. In a whirlwind week, Jenny found out about it, called everyone in three counties, showed up at the custody hearing and left with her niece, and baby, in tow. They are now living with Jenny, until she can help her niece obtain housing and services. Jenny has called me every other day to update me and to bitch about the situation.

In Jenny's world, you bitch and moan and complain, but you stand by family (and friends) until the bitter end, fighting for truth and justice and for what is right. Jenny's favorite saying is, "Karma is a bitch." I tell her that she is a bitch too. In fact, she will call me to say, "Let me tell you what a bitch I was today." Jenny will tell anyone who asks (and many who don't) all about her sexcapades. When she goes out on the weekend, her (adult and teenage) daughters will say, "Mom's wearing her 'fuck me' boots." Jenny can hold a grudge longer than any other person I know. Jenny would be the first one here if I called and said I really needed her. She shocks me, embarrasses me, delights me and drives me crazy. Mostly, she drives me crazy, but I love her. I can't stay mad at her. I admire her ability to be herself and to say "fuck you" to anyone who has something to say about it. All in all, I'm very glad I am her friend and not on the wrong side of Jenny, because "Karma is a bitch."

1 comment:

Louise said...

Often I have seen that the more odd relationships may seem the more they count.

It's a blessing to be able to acknowledge these so called odd relationships.

much love,
Louise