Friday, February 6, 2009

So...it's not just because I'm getting old

I received the results of my lab work in the mail today. I have been recovering from being sick, but slowly. I have also been feeling pretty terrible, which I thought was from being so worn down due to being sick. The letter from my doctor showed that all of my lab work was good, except my TSH results. The high end of the normal range is between 3 and 4.5, my level is 12.9.

TSH stands for thyroid stimulating hormone, it is released by the pituitary gland. Its purpose is to stimulate the thyroid to make hormones which control your metabolism. I do not have a thyroid, but my pituitary gland doesn't know that. When my medication levels are too low, more TSH is released to try and stimulate my absent thyroid. Obviously, my body is trying very hard to correct the problem (which it can't). The bottom line is that I presently have an extremely low metabolism. Symptoms include: extreme tiredness, swelling in extremities, dry skin, brittle nails, difficulties concentrating, memory loss, joint pain, cold intolerance, weight gain, and decreased resistance. I have all of these symptoms and a few more. Tomorrow, I will get my new (higher dosage) prescription filled and, hopefully, correct the problem.

I will admit to not feeling quite this bad since I initially went through my cancer treatment. I am also a bit relieved to discover the reason for all of my symptoms. I had suspected (as did my doctor) that my levels were off, but I had no idea they were so far off. After being on the medication for this long, I only have my lab work done once a year. Some of my symptoms started in November. I am ready to begin feeling better.

I know I have been writing less frequently. That has been greatly due to not being able to concentrate. Not being able to think clearly has been the worst symptom to deal with. I absolutely hate not being able to remember things or think well. I am hoping that will be the first thing to clear up. For right now, I am going to bed.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry... I'm going through some pretty harsh things myself and having difficulties with concentrating (and feeling so damned tired) is just maddening. Please take your time to recover; I'll keep stopping by to see how you're doing. Many hugs!

Greenwoman said...

Hey there Alice. Sending you warm wishes for a speedy recovery. I sure do know how hard it is to feel as you do. I've got endocrine challenges also. Hang in there. ((big hugs))