Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Back to normal?

Thank you Louise and Shannee for your condolences. Life is returning to normal. My granddaughter actually did have to have a minor surgical procedure to clean drain the infection, she is now healing and recovering well. I have been dealing with my grief and it did help to cry it out that night. My routine is definitely changed now. There is no cat to feed or give a pat to. Of course I still have the three dogs who command and vie for my attention, but this is the first time in almost 20 years that I have not had a feline friend around. It is strange for me. Dogs and cats are most certainly different and I miss that interaction that I had with her (as demanding and conditional as it was). It has crossed my mind to get another, but my last four cat losses were very hard and I am not ready. I also really don't have the time and financial resources to devote to another animal.

I must say that I hate playing god. It is always a gut wrenching decision to know when it is the right time to end a life, especially when it is slow decline and not relieving total misery. Perhaps it was good that I had a major distraction on that day. Her passing was not nearly as peaceful as others that I helped cross over. Certainly it wasn't painful, but she fought so hard against it I had to second guess myself.

It makes me ponder the suffering we allow our human loved ones to endure, even when they are capable of voicing when they no longer want to deal with the agony of this life. After watching my grandmother, aunt and then my father suffer through what was known to be a losing battle, I wish I had the courage and the resources to help them end their struggle. I understand all of the ethical implications and the possibility of abuse, yet compassion is compassion whether an animal or a human being is involved. I absolutely do not understand why we, as a culture, can justify killing in war, but not help someone die with dignity. Perhaps I should be glad that I did not have to play god in those cases. However, a bit of regret remains.

1 comment:

Greenwoman said...

It is a hard decision to be sure. I have had to make that decision several times and I too felt such regret. I knew I'd done the right thing each time, but it doesn't make it easier...even though I too firmly belief in euthanasia...

Time heals all.

Hang in there my dear...((hugs))