Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's my birthday!



I really haven't dropped off the face of the earth. I have just had my ass whipped at work lately. The past few weeks I have come home exhausted and brain dead. Of course, it is also summer and my deck has been calling to me more than the computer.

Today is my birthday, I am celebrating by indulging all of my vices, eating, drinking and smoking (okay, all my vices when J is not here). I have done a little around the house today, but then I cooked myself a nice birthday dinner (accompanied by several glasses of wine). I just pulled a cake out of the oven, I will dig into that as soon as it cools. (Pineapple upside-down cake, not necessarily my favorite, but certainly the easiest when baking your own birthday cake.) J is out of the country this week, and due to an unfortunate chain of events (okay, just one unfortunate event) he has been out of the realm of communication for most of the week. Always on top of things, he sent my birthday gift prior to his trip. His birthday is soon and hopefully we will be able to celebrate both our birthdays before too long. By then, he will owe me my birthday spanking and his too.

After my silence lately, I would love to write a witty and relevant post. However, two glasses of wine renders me stupid and witless, so you get to read my pointless, self-indulgent drivel. In recapping my birthday weekend, there hasn't been much in way of celebrating, but that is not so important anymore. Last night we had severe storms and tornadoes, I probably should have taken residence in the basement, but I love storms and stood at the window watching. My son did mow the grass today, so I was happy. I also have been waiting to find out the results of Britain's Got Talent. We cannot watch it here, but I have been following Susan Boyle, along with the rest of the world. I was disappointed for about a minute, when I discovered she hadn't won. Then I saw the video of the winning dance group. All I can say is that Britain really does have talent, these guys are amazing. Here is their final performance, at least until it is no longer available (I'm sure this is probably some kind of copyright violation).



This was the final, but all of their performances were at least this good. The choreography is relevant, funny and intelligent. Their dancing is amazing. These guys are ages 12 to 25 and come from all walks of life and professions. That's enough gushing, but they really are worth a Youtube search to watch the rest of their acts.

All I really have to say is Happy Birthday to Me!!! And with that, I bid you adieu.

A little postscript edit here...since I was right and the video is no longer available, the name of the group is Diversity. You can watch their final here and their audition and semi-final here and here.

4 comments:

Louise said...

Ah, some more belated birthday hugs! And I don't agree with the label on this post, dear; your writing is always lovely to read, "pointless, self-indulgent drivel" or not. *winks*

Alice said...

Thank you Louise. Though sometimes I feel I don't have anything to say. I am glad that even in those times, I am not driving readers away.

Fabsterrant said...

Belated "Happy Birthday!!" Hope it carries you through till we talk again.

Sincerely fab

Alice said...

Thank you Fab, and welcome here.