Saturday, March 20, 2010

Updates and reflections

Ryan, my friend's son, is recovering. He is home, but still cannot walk due injuries to his ankles. Those will heal, but the real damage is probably done to his psyche. He has faced the reality that life can change in an instant. That our actions and decisions can forever haunt us. He will live with the death of his cousin (and best friend) for the rest of his life. I am praying that he finds solace and gratitude in the fact that he was not also killed. I am praying that he find the strength to embrace the second chance that he was given.

The incident has given me pause, it has made me grateful for my own sons, for their health and safety. For their continued chances to get things in their life right. They are adults, but they are often unthinking and irresponsible. They are also often loving and thoughtful. I am thankful that I can be both the recipient of their callousness and their love. I am thankful for each minute I have with them.

As a parent and as a child, I have often made mistakes and have seen the effects of my actions on those that I love. I hope I have learned from the mistakes I have made. Often my learning has been tinged with guilt of not making the right decision. I have wasted a lot of time in regret. I am now learning to let go of regret and move on. Each day is a new opportunity, a new chance to do things right. Our focus should be on the present and future, not on the past. I appreciate my past, both the good and the bad. It has made me who I am today, but it doesn't define who I can be. I can be whoever and however I want. I can do all that I dream of doing.

Sometimes I have been to critical of others' mistakes. I have been short-sighted to the opportunities they still have. My boys can still realize their dreams, they can still be the men they want to be. They still have many chances to do things right. I can't fix their mistakes, nor can I offer them opportunities. I can still offer them advice, but I try to limit that to when I am asked. I can love them and believe in them and cheer them on. I can do that for myself as well. I am grateful for each day I have that opportunity.

2 comments:

Louise said...

When I was a teenager we lost several friends in different accidents... the impact of that was huge and affected all of us deeply; the odd thing was how different we handled it all, when time went on... For me, it meant to take nothing for granted, not ever.

I love the way you tell about your life, there's so much love, beauty and sincerity in that.

Much love, Louise

Alice said...

Thank you Louise, I have been trying to focus on the blessings and loving of late.