Sunday, October 5, 2008

Celebrations


This weekend was celebratory in nature. I am celebrating the fact that I made it through the week. My handyman finished most of the work he was hired to do. I now have both toilets working as they should, all of my kitchen cabinets are now hung, my walls are patched and are ready for me to paint them, and a non-working water softener is out of my laundry room (giving me more room in there). My house is still not really clean, but I have been working on it and it is much more orderly. My son begins his college classes on Monday, all of the financial aid papers are completed and filed. I have gotten some rest and had some marvelous party and family time at my niece's wedding.


Yesterday, my niece got married. Her mother is my sister that I do not always get along with. My niece has always been a bit spoiled and self-centered. My mother and my other sister were coming into town for the wedding. I was looking forward to seeing them, but not really anticipating the wedding itself. Now that it is over, I must admit, I had a lovely time. The mother-of-the-bride was very stressed (which usually leads to misunderstandings and arguments). Instead of problems arising, she came to my other sister and myself and asked for our help with things, which we gladly gave. The time we spent, all pulling together and helping, was a bit of a bonding moment for us. We worked together and joked and got a lot done. My niece was absolutely beautiful, she and her fiance planned a touching ceremony and fun reception. She personified grace and hospitality.


The reception was a wonderful party. The bride and groom used a video game theme and also made their own play list for music. It was fun and creative. My youngest son brought his girlfriend. They have been together for over a year, but this was her first exposure to the entire family. We all talked, ate, drank and danced. We enjoyed each other's company and laughed over family jokes. The evening gave me new appreciation for my family. It also allowed me to let my hair down. I danced with my son, my sister, and my nephew's wife (slow and fast respectively) and also sang karaoke at the table (into a beer bottle microphone), and no we weren't drunk, just having a good time. I often forget how much fun it can be to hang out with my family, especially when we are all getting along.


As with any family, through the years we have been very close at times, but we have also had the ability to inflict the deepest hurts. I am happy to say, that when it really counts, we are there for each other. Through deaths and divorces and illnesses, we are able to put our differences aside and provide aid and comfort. We are a proud and stubborn lot, it is hard for us to ask for help, but when we do, we are family in every sense of the word.

2 comments:

Greenwoman said...

Congratulations on both the remodelling work and the wedding!! *grins*

Alice said...

Thank you. I am ecstatic to be getting the house done!