Friday, May 23, 2008

Peace Train



Yesterday, a friend of mine went to Kentucky to pick up her son. He has been in Iraq for a year. This has been the longest year of her life. He made it home safe and alive, and hopefully unscathed. My memories of him are on the ball field, when he used to play baseball against my son's team. A year ago, the only battle he knew was in sports, now he has seen real battle.

He joined the Army Reserves to help pay for his education and to supplement his income. His education was interrupted to go to war. I am sure he has received an education of a different kind. Chronologically, he is 21 years old. He celebrated his last birthday in a war zone. I am sure his experiences have aged him beyond his years. Hopefully, his added maturity has been achieved without a greater toll.

With an election looming on the horizon, we have a choice to continue to participate in this war or pull-out. My own personal and political views are opposed to this war. There are many people who disagree with me. Perhaps the real test of the necessity and justification of this war is to weigh it against the life of one's child.

No comments: