Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the 13th and the law of karma

Years ago, I worked for a doctor who wouldn't leave his house on Friday the 13th. The rest of the office staff had to report, making Friday the 13th a bad day for me. (Try telling the patients the doctor will not be available until Monday the 16th.) I am not superstitious, but considering how some things have been going lately, I wondered what today would bring.

Today, however, was lovely. I have been able to secure some financing to complete the much needed repairs around the house. I also bought a new washer and dryer (my washer has been broken for at least 6 months). The new appliances were supposed to be delivered yesterday, only they never came. The washer had not come in and no one called to reschedule. I was a tad miffed, but quickly got over it when I was offered a 10% discount and a free upgrade to a better washer they had in stock. Today, the delivery guys were very apologetic as they explained that the dryer I ordered had been damaged in the warehouse and they had to bring a better dryer too, also at no extra cost. I was certainly very forgiving of having to wait an extra day and receiving something other than what I ordered.

For the past year, certain things in my personal life have been crap. We have had more car problems than I can recount. Those problems led to severe financial difficulties, which have seemed to plague me. Though at times I became resentful and depressed, I have tried to maintain a hopefulness that my luck must certainly change. That has finally happened. In the past month I have been able to obtain the means to replace the roof, furnace, and windows. I am getting estimates now. Getting a deal on the washer and dryer. plus being upgraded, was a pleasant surprise. My oldest son has been working steadily, easing my worry and my finances. I will be getting a new assignment at work soon, one that I am quite happy about. Over the past few weeks, I have gotten two raises, both small, but still more money coming in.

Today, I also found out that the mechanic who cheated us out of $5000 is now in the penitentiary, I am not sure what the conviction was. Not that I wanted revenge, but it is somewhat satisfying to know that some of his evil deeds have caught up with him. It is nice to know that maybe some of my good deeds are returning to me as well.

3 comments:

Greenwoman said...

I rather suspect that they are indeed returning to you. *smiles*

Louise said...

'One should perform karma with nonchalance without expecting the benefits because sooner of later one shall defintely gets the fruits.' Rig Veda
*winks* Louise

Alice said...

Shannee,
It is very nice to have things going my way. Though, despite all the "crap" that occurred last year, I also met J, who has been my ultimate reward.

Louise,
What a wonderful quote. I will certainly take that to heart. (hugs)
Alice