Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Things I like/love/make me happy/content

Okay, so lists are the blogging cop-out. They are fast, easy, and don't require much thought. This one is really my cop-out, because I should be doing homework.

I love to cook and I am a great cook. My favorite is cooking while hanging out in the kitchen with friends and family.

Camping with friends, tents, no electric. The best is sitting around the fire in perfect camping weather (warm enough to wear shorts, but cool enough to wear a sweatshirt).

A good intellectual debate, preferably with someone a little smarter than me so I have to really think and be on my toes. Ken and Sue are my favorite debate partners.

Having crossword puzzle races with Ken.

Dancing around the house with the grandkids, being really silly and listening to them laugh like crazy.

Taking the dogs to the dog park on a cool day and watching them run in the pack while I talk to the other dog "parents".

I love Christmas! I love to decorate-I sometimes put up 6 trees (no that isn't a typo, I have one for every room). I love to cook and bake and wrap presents. Hate the shopping part.

Snow! I love snow, I like to watch it, play in it, just not drive in it.

Laying on the beach, listening to the surf.

The mountains, Smokeys or Rockies, doesn't matter. The air is crisp, the view is great, I feel close to God.

Finishing a really long research paper and feeling like I nailed it.

Hiking Glen Helen in Yellow Springs with my son and the dogs.

Swimming, when it's really hot and the water is cool. Doing laps and then floating around and chatting, usually with my sister.

Road trips. Picnicing at rest areas, stopping at stupid little tourist traps and historical landmarks.

Muscle cars. A bit of nostalgia? Love car shows, going for rides when I have a chance and reminiscing about drag racing on Interstate 275 before it was completed.

Farmers markets. Browsing, shopping, talking to the people.

The state fair. Always loved to take the kids and now the grandkids.

Eating Sunday brunch at the Palm Court in the Cincinnati Netherland Hilton. Can only afford this one about once a year.

I love rowboats. Just peaceful, being on the water and I love to row.

Singing loudly to rap music (preferably with nasty lyrics) in the car with my son, just to annoy him and make him smile. "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...."

Gardening (though you would never know it from the looks of my garden) planting, pulling weeds, getting dirt under my nails.

Really good sex. The kind where you really work at it and are lost in it and end up exhausted, content, and completely relaxed.

A good scary movie (preferably, a psychological thriller).

Playing cards and board games with very competitive friends.

Learning hard concepts, having to think until my brain hurts and realizing that I will never totally get it.

Writing...stories, poems, papers, family history, journaling, blogging.

Having someone else wash my hair. The best part of going to a salon.

Getting and giving massages.

Sitting at the table predawn (when no one else is up) in pajamas with a cup of coffee and a cigarette.

Snuggling a baby in a rocking chair. This was really great when the boys were babies and I would nurse them (no other connection like it).

Realizing that he knows me better than I know myself. Being able to tell him anything, because I trust him completely.

Falling asleep naked, my body pressed close to his.

2 comments:

Greenwoman said...

That's a happy list. I love many of those things too. *smiles*

Alice said...

Thanks Shannee, no matter how dim things seem at times, there are always lots of things to make me smile.