Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hell and heretics

I am sometimes reluctant to post on religion and politics as I know that these two topics can be very divisive. I also have highly formed opinions and beliefs in both of these areas, I am always eager to engage in intelligent discussions on these topics. I am not so arrogant as to believe that my ideas are the only ones or even the correct ones.

I do post on these topics, because this is my blog and my opinion and I am not forcing anyone to read it. As I read over my earlier post on Michele Bachmann, I wanted to clarify some of my thoughts. I do not hold disdain for conservative Christians, I used to be one. (Sort of, my questions and views always seemed to get me into trouble with the church.) I know many religious and Biblical scholars who are educated, intelligent people and can make me pause and rethink things. I also know that most religious teaching is done by lay-people, who are simply repeating what they have been taught, without any critical thought or study on their own.

I am a Christian, I believe in the sovereignty and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I do not believe that his sacrifice relieves us of personal responsibility for our actions. I believe that God is the creator and is an omnipotent being. I am not so prideful or presumptuous to believe I understand his consummate plan or his nature. I find many other religions and philosophies have theories and beliefs that make sense to me and mesh with what I believe as a Christian. I incorporate those beliefs into mine and do not feel I am being inconsistent or blasphemous. I also have a problem with the concept of Hell. If God is a just, loving and perfect being, how can he punish and torture people over the fact that they did not know or did not accept the gospel message? My beliefs have always prompted much doubt and many questions for me. I have a hard time blindly accepting things that do not make sense to me. Yet, I continue to believe a central core of ideas, while questioning and rejecting much of what churches teach. The church does not define what I believe, I do not believe that "the church" is necessarily representing or speaking for God.

I believe that God loves and cares for his creations, I believe that God wants me to love and care for his creations also. But, I am flawed and that is sometimes difficult to do. Every now and then, I hear a message, often from a "heretic" that makes sense to me. That seems to fit in with my small, flawed image of who God is. I always appreciate when people are honest and open about their own struggles with their faith. One blog I read is Real Live Preacher, it has touched me deeply and given me much to think about. I was initially drawn in by a post on his personal story, he was refreshingly honest about his own questions and doubts. Recently, he has invited his readers to define and defend their beliefs about Hell. He is doing his own study as well, I will be very interested in seeing the results.

His post on Hell, reminded me of Carlton Pearson. An evangelical, who has been condemned and been called a heretic for his Gospel of Inclusion. He has a Pentecostal background and preached fire and brimstone for years, until his own questions prompted (what he believes is) a revelation from God. Hell is a touchy subject for most Christians. People are afraid of it and therefore do not want to question it. If God is my loving Father and I am his rebellious child, I find the need to question him all the time. Below is the second part of an interview with Carlton Pearson, I am intrigued by his new gospel message. I find it interesting that Ted Haggard is used to rebuke his message. How typical it is that the ones who are the most resolute are the ones that frequently fall from grace.




I am not writing this post as a primer to what I believe. I do not think we are meant to or are capable of fully understanding God or his message. My faith is a journey (as is most of my life) and it regularly gets shaken up and evolves. I will not try to impose my beliefs on anyone. Please do not try and impose yours on me (unless you have a well-thought out and critical argument, which I will respectfully listen to). I admit to my flaws and admit to my humanity and just try to do the best that I can. If my views have offended anyone in the past, I apologize. But they are in fact, my views. I believe the state of the country and the world today causes God as much anguish as it causes me, though maybe for different reasons.

No comments: