Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A tad bit hormonal

Disclaimer: This post is about hormones. It may fall into the category of TMI about Alice. If you don't want to read it, don't, but no snarky comments about my hormonal hell, because that is where I am vacationing this week.

This is a video of the Millenium Force Roller Coaster



but, if the truth be told, it is a video of my hormone levels lately, complete with the highs, the drops, the twists, and the turns. Now, before you think I am in danger of killing someone, this roller coaster ride only happens one week out of each month. The thrill ride is complete with migraines, nausea, aches, anxiety, and crying jags. Okay, not so much on the crying part, though a good cry would probably do me some good. I am not loving or embracing this aspect of my girliness. Sometimes being a woman sucks, and not in a good way.

My doctor's advice to me is to pray for menopause. Gee...thanks a bunch, I am so glad that I paid you $100 for that great medical advice. I do have medication for the migraines, of course the side effects are nausea, aches, fatigue, loss of mental capacity, and headaches. I get to trade the searing, blinding pain for a lesser headache and generally feeling like crap. And the medication costs about $80 per pill. With all the miracle cures that have been discovered, one would think that a PMS cure would have been found long ago. After all, people would pay good money for it. Though I would not want to be the husband that says, "Honey, maybe you should take your PMS pill."

cat
more animals

I know that hormone therapy used to be widely prescribed, but since it has been linked to breast cancer it is now rarely used. I have tried all kinds of over-the-counter and herbal remedies, obviously with no results. I have even begged my doctor for some hormone therapy, because during this week, the possibility of contracting breast cancer really doesn't seem all that bad. He must really believe the risks, because he told a hormonal woman, NO. The week always starts out with me wondering what is wrong with me, then it progresses to the point where I think I am losing it, by the time I think I am really crazy I usually figure it out. But, by then it is over, I am crawling out of my big gaping pit of self-pity and despair and becoming human again.

The point of my post is to petition the medical community. PLEASE, find a cure. In the next thirty days, find a cure. If you are a medical researcher, chances are, you either are a woman, or you live with a woman, or you know a woman. Find a cure. My only other thought on this is that Dr. Bruce Banner is really a woman and (except for the green part) the Hulk is that woman with PMS. I really mean it, find a cure.

No comments: