Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful thoughts

Photobucket
I am sitting here this morning, reflecting on the day ahead. The turkey will go in the oven in a few hours, we are eating late today. I love Thanksgiving, for a number of reasons. I have much to be thankful for, several things have already touched me today and made me think.

First thing this morning, I got out a graph that was made by my father 11 years ago. It includes roasting times, at two different temperatures, for turkeys based on weight. He made it in 1997 and sent it to all of his children. I am probably the only one who still has it and uses it every year. My father was an engineer, there are some things that you can only appreciate if you have ever lived with an engineer. Over the years, I have collected engineer humor sent to me by my sisters. My father would have never seen the humor in these jokes, but reading them makes me love him more.

You might be an engineer if...

You wear a pocket protector and it is full of mechanical pencils.
When a three year old asks "Why is the sky blue?" you start explaining it to them.
You can explain which direction the water spins as you flush the toilet and why.
You read PC World and Popular Mechanics, while on vacation.
Your idea of good interpersonal communication means getting the decimal point in the right place.
At Christmas, you will spend hours finding the burnt out light bulb on the string of Christmas lights.
You own a slide rule and know how to use it.
You can remember seven computer passwords, but not your anniversary.
You've actually used your time to fix a $5.00 radio (and had all the parts on hand to do it).
The highlight of your Caribbean cruise was the Captain's tour of the engine room.
You consider yourself well-dressed, if your socks match.
You have built your stereo or television from a Heathkit.
You know the second law of thermo-dynamics, but not your own shirt size.
You see the truth, but not the humor in any of the above.


I am thankful to have been raised by an engineer.


A few weeks ago, this occurred in Nippert Stadium at the University of Cincinnati.

I am thankful that this kind of sportsmanship and compassion still exists.
Mardy Gilyard is a wide receiver for the Bearcats. After crashing into the sidelines and accidentally hitting a seven year old spectator, he took off his helmet and hugged the frightened child. This young man has overcome his share of difficulties. As a freshman, he lost his scholarship, his home and his place on the team due to being placed on academic probation. Instead of quitting and blaming others, he lived in his car and worked four jobs to pay his tuition. His perseverance has been rewarded by getting his place on the team and his scholarship back. I hope that his parents, his coach and his team are all as proud of him as I am.

I am thankful for my family and my friends, they love me, offer me support and enrich my life. I am thankful for my job, in these economic times, it is rare to have job security. I am thankful for my dogs, who offer an unlimited source of affection and amusement for me (and they diligently protect us from the evil squirrels). I am thankful for my home, obtaining it, maintaining it and occupying it for 15 years is nothing short of miraculous. I am thankful for J, he enriches my life in more ways than I can count. He has met needs in me that I did not even know I had. I am a much better person because of him.

For all of you that are celebrating Thanksgiving, and all of you who are not, I wish for you a glorious day. I hope that you all have as much to be thankful for as I do.

4 comments:

Louise said...

Thank you Alice! It's a blessing to have so many things to be grateful for. I hope you had a lovely day!

Alice said...

Louise,

I did have a wonderful day. Of course, I now feel I have gained 20 pounds LOL. Today I am making soup from the turkey carcass and packaging some of the leftovers into the freezer. The dogs loved the holiday too, though I don't often give them scraps, they had their own little feast this time.

Alice

Anonymous said...

Very good to read, Alice. I too have so much to be thankful for - even though I don't live in USA!

Alice said...

Malcom,

Not living here might be one of the things you are thankful for. Though I am hoping for some changes soon. I believe we can be grateful for much, regardless of our situation.