Saturday, November 1, 2008

Post-Halloween-Post

Photobucket

I love, love, love Halloween! I always have. Last night was trick-or-treat night here. The grandchildren came over and their parents took them around to collect loot, while I stayed home and passed out candy.

I sat on the front porch with our little hound, Tucker. (He is the calmest of the dogs.) I love seeing all the kids in their costumes. I love it when the "big" kids dress up and come around as well. I remember trick-or-treating even in Junior High. We would hit the streets and keep going for hours, ending up miles away from our house. Times were different then. We would get homemade treats, popcorn balls and caramel apples, and yes, we would eat them. I remember once visiting with an elderly gentleman, who was lonely (a stranger to us at the time). He told us that he had lost his wife that year and he didn't get many visitors, when we left, he asked us to return. Which we did and formed a friendship that lasted for years. I know there were dangers, even then, but it was easier to trust in the goodness of people.

I like the homemade costumes better. For years, I always made the boys costumes each year. I sewed devil suits, vampire capes, scarecrow outfits and Davey Crockett, frontiersman garb. Last night I saw fairies, butterflies, ghouls, sports players and even a Twister game costume. The grandchildren were knights and a kitty. I dressed up for work (we do dress up on Halloween) and was a zombie bride.

We had a late supper last night of tacos and apple cider. I did manage to limit the candy intake. Though, from the level of hyperness today, you would not believe me. This morning we baked muffins for breakfast. The kids brought their small pumpkins from their field-trip. We cut them open and scraped out the seeds. The kids are coloring and I am writing this, while we wait for them to bake so we can make pumpkin pies.

Thanksgiving is next, I am already planning the menu. Of course it is pretty traditional and doesn't change much from year to year. Thanksgiving will usher in the Christmas season, decorating, baking, making presents, wrapping...but now I am getting way ahead of myself.

3 comments:

Greenwoman said...

Love to hear about your happy kitchen play. *smiles* Enjoy your pies. I'm looking forward to TG this year too. I love it. One of my favorite holidays.

Alice said...

Thank you Shannee, the pie was yummy! The roasted seeds will be our snack in just a bit.

I love Thanksgiving too, maybe because I have so much to be thankful for.

Louise said...

Lovely to read about your Halloween; we don't celebrate it here, nor Thanksgiving, but we do have some other holidays I'm looking forward to. *smile* Those days are highlights, and I love to cherish them, and as traditonal as possible! *wink*